COVID-19 updates & resources. Learn more.

Humber River-Black Creek

Ward 7

Malika Saeeda Art Box
1 Arrow Road
An art box by artist Malika Saeeda that depicts a bird in a dramatic winter scene. It is part of the Bell Box Mural Project.

Emery Village Road Mural & Historical Marker
Sheppard Avenue West and Weston Road
The intersection of Weston Road and Sheppard Avenue West was reconstructed beginning in 2007 as part of a beautification project. Some of the new features from this project included a large interlocking maple leaf in brick form in the intersection itself, benches, banners, planters, a stone seatwall with the Emery Village BIA mural, and decorative LED lighting. There is also a historical marker which notes some local history close to the northwest corner of the intersection. This includes information about Carmine Stefano, who the nearby community centre is named after. It also notes some of the history of the origins of Emery Village – originally settled in 1796 – as well as the Toronto Carrying Place trail – and important Indigenous portage route – both of which were situated in this area. It also notes the history of nearby Rivermede Cottage (see also Rivermede Cottage entry).

Rivermede Cottage
3100 Weston Road
*Note: Private property. Please observe the building from the street only. This heritage listed Tudor-style building dates back to 1928. It was originally constructed by wealthy businessman Percy Gardiner as an extravagant summer cottage complete with a swimming pool and tennis courts. The building was purchased in 1961 by the Basilian Fathers, who have occupied the building ever since.

Natali Starikova Art Box
Weston Road and Damask Avenue
In the bustle of a city as large and modern as Toronto, we forget the farming and pioneer history of this landscape before our dense and complex network of streets, buildings, and infrastructure was developed. Like other urban animals, the humble, creative, energetic mouse reminds us. Painted by artist Natali Starikova as part of the Bell Box Mural Project.

Emery Village BIA Historical Marker & St. Lucie Park
3300 Weston Road
There is a historical marker along Weston Road at St. Lucie Park which denotes notable local history. The plaque touches on how the Grouse Hill Orange Lodge shaped the social life of the agricultural community of Emery Village, which used to be situated in this area in the mid-1800s. It also notes the first schoolhouse built in Emery Village (now demolished), and provides a history of some of the first industry that developed in the area throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. St. Lucie Park features a ball diamond and greenspace.

Humber River Recreational Trail & Bluehaven Park
19 Blue Haven Crescent
A 2.3 hectare park near Finch Avenue West and Islington Avenue featuring three sports fields, a children’s playground and a path leading to the Humber River Recreational Trail and the West Humber Parkland. Parking is available on site. The Humber River Recreational Trail wends its way through this neighbourhood, offering lovely views and paved paths.

Lanyard Park
138 Lanyard Road
A 2.1 hectare park near Weston Road and Finch Avenue West featuring a lit ball diamond, three outdoor tennis courts, a basketball court, a splash pad and a children’s playground. The area of the park and neighbouring Daystrom Drive Public School was once the site of a large Indigenous settlement along the Toronto Carrying Place trail (more information about this can be found at the Emery Village Historical Marker at 2 Vena Way across from Lindylou Park).

Lindylou Park
14 Lanyard Road
A 4.5 hectare park at Finch Avenue West and Weston Road that features two Gazebos, two volleyball courts and walking paths.

Emery Village Historical Marker
2 Vena Way
The Emery Village BIA has installed an informative historical plaque along the east side of Weston Road across from Lindy Lou Park. The marker notes two famous musicians originally from the area – Claudio Vena and Alfie Zappacosta – who some new streets are named after. It also notes some of the Indigenous history of the area, specifically a former village that was once located on what is now Lanyard Park and Daystrom Drive Public School (see also the Lanyard Park point of interest entry). The marker also mentions the former Finch West Mall, which was once a key hub of the area at the southeast corner of Weston Road and Finch Avenue West. Finally, the marker has a poem from Dr. Laurence Hutchman, who grew up in the area and is Emery’s Poet Laureate.

Ted Hamer Art Boxes
1000 Arrow Road
Some art boxes painted by artist Ted Hamer with the assistance of a local seniors group. The first is a maple leaf-themed piece, which was requested by the local Emery Village BIA. The other depicts themes of nature within the local community.

<< Back to StrollTO Home

Explore Humber River-Black Creek

Now is the time for residents to experience all that tourists have been raving about for years. Discover shops, stops, places and spaces on city main streets. Stay curious, Toronto.

We want to hear from you! Click here to complete a short survey

DON’T MISS
BigArtTO
September 30 – October 3
8pm – 11pm
York Woods Library

Neighbourhood Stroll: Humbermede

This stroll includes the Emery Village BIA – Canada’s largest business improvement area. Along the way, you will see public art in the form of several Bell Box Murals Project pieces, historic buildings like Rivermede Cottage, several historical markers noting the history of the area, and plenty of fantastic greenspace such as Bluehaven Park, Lanyard Park, and Lindylou Park.

Main Streets: Weston Road and Finch Avenue

Note: Some neighbourhood strolls may cross over into more than one ward.

  1. Malika Saeeda Art Box
    1 Arrow Road
    An art box by artist Malika Saeeda that depicts a bird in a dramatic winter scene. It is part of the Bell Box Mural Project.

  2. Emery Village Road Mural & Historical Marker
    Sheppard Avenue West and Weston Road
    The intersection of Weston Road and Sheppard Avenue West was reconstructed beginning in 2007 as part of a beautification project. Some of the new features from this project included a large interlocking maple leaf in brick form in the intersection itself, benches, banners, planters, a stone seatwall with the Emery Village BIA mural, and decorative LED lighting. There is also a historical marker which notes some local history close to the northwest corner of the intersection. This includes information about Carmine Stefano, who the nearby community centre is named after. It also notes some of the history of the origins of Emery Village – originally settled in 1796 – as well as the Toronto Carrying Place trail – and important Indigenous portage route – both of which were situated in this area. It also notes the history of nearby Rivermede Cottage (see also Rivermede Cottage entry).

  3. Rivermede Cottage
    3100 Weston Road
    *Note: Private property. Please observe the building from the street only. This heritage listed Tudor-style building dates back to 1928. It was originally constructed by wealthy businessman Percy Gardiner as an extravagant summer cottage complete with a swimming pool and tennis courts. The building was purchased in 1961 by the Basilian Fathers, who have occupied the building ever since.

  4. Natali Starikova Art Box
    Weston Road and Damask Avenue
    In the bustle of a city as large and modern as Toronto, we forget the farming and pioneer history of this landscape before our dense and complex network of streets, buildings, and infrastructure was developed. Like other urban animals, the humble, creative, energetic mouse reminds us. Painted by artist Natali Starikova as part of the Bell Box Mural Project.

  5. Emery Village BIA Historical Marker & St. Lucie Park
    3300 Weston Road
    There is a historical marker along Weston Road at St. Lucie Park which denotes notable local history. The plaque touches on how the Grouse Hill Orange Lodge shaped the social life of the agricultural community of Emery Village, which used to be situated in this area in the mid-1800s. It also notes the first schoolhouse built in Emery Village (now demolished), and provides a history of some of the first industry that developed in the area throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. St. Lucie Park features a ball diamond and greenspace.

  6. Humber River Recreational Trail & Bluehaven Park
    19 Blue Haven Crescent
    A 2.3 hectare park near Finch Avenue West and Islington Avenue featuring three sports fields, a children’s playground and a path leading to the Humber River Recreational Trail and the West Humber Parkland. Parking is available on site. The Humber River Recreational Trail wends its way through this neighbourhood, offering lovely views and paved paths.

  7. Lanyard Park
    138 Lanyard Road
    A 2.1 hectare park near Weston Road and Finch Avenue West featuring a lit ball diamond, three outdoor tennis courts, a basketball court, a splash pad and a children’s playground. The area of the park and neighbouring Daystrom Drive Public School was once the site of a large Indigenous settlement along the Toronto Carrying Place trail (more information about this can be found at the Emery Village Historical Marker at 2 Vena Way across from Lindylou Park).

  8. Lindylou Park
    14 Lanyard Road
    A 4.5 hectare park at Finch Avenue West and Weston Road that features two Gazebos, two volleyball courts and walking paths.

  9. Emery Village Historical Marker
    2 Vena Way
    The Emery Village BIA has installed an informative historical plaque along the east side of Weston Road across from Lindy Lou Park. The marker notes two famous musicians originally from the area – Claudio Vena and Alfie Zappacosta – who some new streets are named after. It also notes some of the Indigenous history of the area, specifically a former village that was once located on what is now Lanyard Park and Daystrom Drive Public School (see also the Lanyard Park point of interest entry). The marker also mentions the former Finch West Mall, which was once a key hub of the area at the southeast corner of Weston Road and Finch Avenue West. Finally, the marker has a poem from Dr. Laurence Hutchman, who grew up in the area and is Emery’s Poet Laureate.

  10. Ted Hamer Art Boxes
    1000 Arrow Road
    Some art boxes painted by artist Ted Hamer with the assistance of a local seniors group. The first is a maple leaf-themed piece, which was requested by the local Emery Village BIA. The other depicts themes of nature within the local community.

Accessibility information: The Malika Saeeda Art Box, Emery Village BIA Historical Markers, Rivermede Cottage, Natali Starikova Art Box, and Ted Hamer Art Boxes are all viewable from the street. Bluehaven Park, Lanyard Park, and Lindylou Parks have fully paved paths throughout. St. Lucie Park does not have any paved paths. Please note that the Humber River Recreational Trail may include uneven surfaces and steep hills.

Soundtracks of the City

From global superstars to local favourites and ones to watch, the Soundtracks of the City playlists all feature artists who have called Toronto home. Whether it’s a lyric about the neighborhood, an artist representing a cultural community, or a tie-in to the StrollTO itinerary itself, all the music reflects connections to an individual ward or the City as a whole.

Music was chosen based on an artist’s Spotify presence and each song’s broad appeal, as well as its associations with the cultures, languages and ethnicities that reflect Toronto’s neighborhoods and diverse music scene. Soundtracks of the City combines 425 songs that feature more than 500 different local artists or acts, showcasing songs in 23 different languages.