COVID-19 updates & resources. Learn more.

Etobicoke Centre

Ward 2

Everyone Everywhere Mural
Islington Avenue and Dundas Street West
Completed in 2013 by Arts Etobicoke and Creative Village, this 61-metre-long mural reflects the diversity of the neighbourhood and is inspired by Article Six of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which states that everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law. This mural is also part of the Village of Islington’s Mural Mosaic, which features over 15,000 square feet of outdoor art throughout the BIA. Free mural tours can be arranged through the Village of Islington BIA’s website.

Montgomery’s Inn
4709 Dundas Street West
Montgomery’s Inn is a Toronto History Museum and heritage designated building dating back to the 1830s. It highlights the historical role played by the inn as a farm, tavern, local gathering place and community hub in the development and history of Etobicoke.

At the Inn, you’ll also learn about the story of Joshua Glover, an important figure in Toronto’s Black history. Joshua Glover was an enslaved person who fled Missouri in 1852. After landing in Ontario, he made his way to Etobicoke and found work at Thomas Montgomery’s Inn. Glover continued to work here as a farm hand and lived out the rest of his life in as a tenant and life-long friend of the Montgomery’s.

A memorial sculpture of Glover will be installed in 2021 in the future Joshua Glover Park at 4208 Dundas Street West (close by to where Glover’s home was located).

St. George’s Church on the Hill
4600 Dundas Street West
This church has been a landmark for over 160 years. In 1971, the church was registered as a site of archaeological interest because many First Nations artifacts were reported to be found in the cemetery, indicating that for thousands of years, the hill has been used to view the surrounding land. The original stucco church was completed in 1847. In 1894, the church was raised and placed on a new stone foundation to provide a basement. At the same time, the stucco walls were covered with brick and a front porch was added. In 1937, the church was lengthened to provide space for a growing population after World War II. Inside the church, old stained glass windows are interspersed with the new, including three windows in particular, which depict the history of the Village of Islington. Today, the site remains a thriving centre within the Islington community. The Kingsway College School joined the site in 1990 and built the new addition at the rear of the church. A cemetery, established in 1840s, also sits on the site.

Kingsway Mural
Rail underpass at Royal York Road (north of Dundas Street West)
Designed by artist Emilia Jajus, the mural is a collage of local landmarks, including James Gardens, the Kingsway Theatre, Humbertown Plaza, Montgomery’s Inn, and the Old Mill and Old Mill Bridge, among many others.

Emily’s House from A Simple Favor
7 Ashley Park Road
*Note: Private property. Please observe the house from the street only. This house at 7 Ashley Park was used as Emily’s house in the 2018 movie A Simple Favor, starring Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick.

Lambton Mills Cemetery
1293 Royal York Road
This cemetery was established by the Congregation Knesseth Israel, a synagogue on Maria Street in the Junction Area neighbourhood. The cemetery was then divided up into different parcels which were sold to other Jewish congregations, resulting in the creation of the 14 smaller cemeteries. Among the notable individuals buried here include Fannie “Bobbie” Rosenfeld, a sports writer and athlete who won medals in the 1928 Olympics and wrote for the Globe & Mail for over 20 years. The cemetery is also home to a black granite memorial for those killed by the Nazis at Ostrovietz, Poland between 1941 and 1945. The monument was sadly damaged by vandals in 1999, but Tony Duguid, a Mohawk art restorer from Six Nations, volunteered his time and expertise to restore it.

Buttonwood Park
30 Mulham Place
A 4.3 hectare park near Royal York Road and Eglinton Avenue West featuring three lit outdoor tennis courts, a children’s playground and a large open green space. During the winter there is an outdoor artificial ice rink.

James Gardens
99 Edenbridge Road
James Gardens, a former estate on the west bank of the Humber River, is known for its flower gardens, mature trees and terraced stone pathways beside sparkling spring-fed pools and streams. The park features the historic James Gazebo, along with terraced pathways and the original home “Red Gables”. Here, you can also find lawn bowling, cross-country skiing, a memorial cairn in rose garden, and a scenic lookout over the Humber Valley to downtown Toronto. Twelve Indigenous artifacts were uncovered here in the 1920s when weeping tiles and water features were being installed. These include a pine-tree shaped projection point that dates to about 4,000 years ago, made from Onondaga chert, a flint-like stone that comes from the north shore of Lake Erie.

Lambton Woods
1193 Royal York Road
Lambton Woods is a green space located on the west bank of the Humber River filled with trees, animals and birds. This part of the land was known as Lambton Mills. William Cooper assembled the land and established the mills by 1807 on both sides of the Humber River. Lambton Mills was a thriving community, however, a fire in 1915 destroyed most of the east bank buildings, leaving just the Lambton House.

Guelph Radial Line Bridge Tower Footings
Humber Recreational Trail as it crosses Humber River north of Dundas Street West
This pedestrianized bridge on the Humber Recreational Trail was once the location of a crossing for the Guelph Radial Line, an electric Toronto Suburban Railway line between Guelph and Toronto that operated from 1917 to 1931. Today, only the footings for the steel towers remain.

<< Back to StrollTO Home

Explore Etobicoke Centre

Now is the time for residents to experience all that tourists have been raving about for years. Discover shops, stops, places and spaces on city main streets. Stay curious, Toronto.

DON’T MISS
BigArtTO
November 11 – 14
6:30pm – 9:30pm
Etobicoke Olympium

Neighbourhood Stroll: Kingsway South

This stroll features historic sites such as Montgomery’s Inn, St. George’s Church on the Hill and Lambton Mills Cemetery, beautiful greenspace including James Gardens and Buttonwood Park, and local public art with the Everyone Everywhere Mural, part of the Village of Islington BIA’s Mural Mosaic Project. Fantastic local shops and restaurants can be found on Dundas Street West, Royal York Road, and Islington Avenue.

Main Streets: Dundas Street West, Royal York Road, and Islington Avenue

Note: Some neighbourhood strolls may cross over into more than one ward.

  1. Everyone Everywhere Mural
    Islington Avenue and Dundas Street West
    Completed in 2013 by Arts Etobicoke and Creative Village, this 61-metre-long mural reflects the diversity of the neighbourhood and is inspired by Article Six of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which states that everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law. This mural is also part of the Village of Islington’s Mural Mosaic, which features over 15,000 square feet of outdoor art throughout the BIA. Free mural tours can be arranged through the Village of Islington BIA’s website.

  2. Montgomery’s Inn
    4709 Dundas Street West
    Montgomery’s Inn is a Toronto History Museum and heritage designated building dating back to the 1830s. It highlights the historical role played by the inn as a farm, tavern, local gathering place and community hub in the development and history of Etobicoke.

    At the Inn, you’ll also learn about the story of Joshua Glover, an important figure in Toronto’s Black history. Joshua Glover was an enslaved person who fled Missouri in 1852. After landing in Ontario, he made his way to Etobicoke and found work at Thomas Montgomery’s Inn. Glover continued to work here as a farm hand and lived out the rest of his life in as a tenant and life-long friend of the Montgomery’s.

    A memorial sculpture of Glover will be installed in 2021 in the future Joshua Glover Park at 4208 Dundas Street West (close by to where Glover’s home was located).

  3. St. George’s Church on the Hill
    4600 Dundas Street West
    This church has been a landmark for over 160 years. In 1971, the church was registered as a site of archaeological interest because many First Nations artifacts were reported to be found in the cemetery, indicating that for thousands of years, the hill has been used to view the surrounding land. The original stucco church was completed in 1847. In 1894, the church was raised and placed on a new stone foundation to provide a basement. At the same time, the stucco walls were covered with brick and a front porch was added. In 1937, the church was lengthened to provide space for a growing population after World War II. Inside the church, old stained glass windows are interspersed with the new, including three windows in particular, which depict the history of the Village of Islington. Today, the site remains a thriving centre within the Islington community. The Kingsway College School joined the site in 1990 and built the new addition at the rear of the church. A cemetery, established in 1840s, also sits on the site.

  4. Kingsway Mural
    Rail underpass at Royal York Road (north of Dundas Street West)
    Designed by artist Emilia Jajus, the mural is a collage of local landmarks, including James Gardens, the Kingsway Theatre, Humbertown Plaza, Montgomery’s Inn, and the Old Mill and Old Mill Bridge, among many others.

  5. Emily’s House from A Simple Favor
    7 Ashley Park Road
    *Note: Private property. Please observe the house from the street only. This house at 7 Ashley Park was used as Emily’s house in the 2018 movie A Simple Favor, starring Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick.

  6. Lambton Mills Cemetery
    1293 Royal York Road
    This cemetery was established by the Congregation Knesseth Israel, a synagogue on Maria Street in the Junction Area neighbourhood. The cemetery was then divided up into different parcels which were sold to other Jewish congregations, resulting in the creation of the 14 smaller cemeteries. Among the notable individuals buried here include Fannie “Bobbie” Rosenfeld, a sports writer and athlete who won medals in the 1928 Olympics and wrote for the Globe & Mail for over 20 years. The cemetery is also home to a black granite memorial for those killed by the Nazis at Ostrovietz, Poland between 1941 and 1945. The monument was sadly damaged by vandals in 1999, but Tony Duguid, a Mohawk art restorer from Six Nations, volunteered his time and expertise to restore it.

  7. Buttonwood Park
    30 Mulham Place
    A 4.3 hectare park near Royal York Road and Eglinton Avenue West featuring three lit outdoor tennis courts, a children’s playground and a large open green space. During the winter there is an outdoor artificial ice rink.

  8. James Gardens
    99 Edenbridge Road
    James Gardens, a former estate on the west bank of the Humber River, is known for its flower gardens, mature trees and terraced stone pathways beside sparkling spring-fed pools and streams. The park features the historic James Gazebo, along with terraced pathways and the original home “Red Gables”. Here, you can also find lawn bowling, cross-country skiing, a memorial cairn in rose garden, and a scenic lookout over the Humber Valley to downtown Toronto. Twelve Indigenous artifacts were uncovered here in the 1920s when weeping tiles and water features were being installed. These include a pine-tree shaped projection point that dates to about 4,000 years ago, made from Onondaga chert, a flint-like stone that comes from the north shore of Lake Erie.

  9. Lambton Woods
    1193 Royal York Road
    Lambton Woods is a green space located on the west bank of the Humber River filled with trees, animals and birds. This part of the land was known as Lambton Mills. William Cooper assembled the land and established the mills by 1807 on both sides of the Humber River. Lambton Mills was a thriving community, however, a fire in 1915 destroyed most of the east bank buildings, leaving just the Lambton House.

  10. Guelph Radial Line Bridge Tower Footings
    Humber Recreational Trail as it crosses Humber River north of Dundas Street West
    This pedestrianized bridge on the Humber Recreational Trail was once the location of a crossing for the Guelph Radial Line, an electric Toronto Suburban Railway line between Guelph and Toronto that operated from 1917 to 1931. Today, only the footings for the steel towers remain.

Accessibility information: The Everyone Everywhere Mural, exterior of Montgomery’s Inn, St. George’s Church on the Hill, Kingsway Mural, Emily’s House from A Simple Favor, and Lambton Mills Cemetery are viewable from the street. (The interior of Montgomery’s Inn is partially accessible). Buttonwood Park has paved paths. James Gardens contains some unpaved paths. Lambton Woods and the Humber Recreational Trail leading to Guelph Radial Line Bridge Tower Footings contain uneven surfaces and steep hills.