COVID-19 updates & resources. Learn more.

Eglinton – Lawrence

Ward 8

Rachel Wilmshurst Art Box
Mount Pleasant Rd & Blythwood Rd
This design centres around the movement of our city and how we co-exist within our own daily lives. We work, learn, play and think with different schedules, goals and motivations. Every day we begin again, move through our lives and weave different paths together.

Blythwood Ravine Park
1200 Mount Pleasant Rd
Toronto is home to a number of forested ravines found throughout the City. These ravines provide a beautiful escape from our urban environment and provide homes for local wildlife. Blythwood Ravine Park is bordered by Alexander Muir Gardens to the west and Sherwood Park on the east. The Park is a beautiful stretch of forested trail that is part of the Northern Ravines and Gardens Discovery Walk. Follow the trail from the beautiful Alexander Muir Gardens, along the creek and under Mount Pleasant Rd to Sherwood Park. There you will find a wading pool, playground, dog off-leash area and a baseball diamond. It’s a beautiful shaded walk on a hot and sunny day in the City.

Lawrence Park Ravine
51 Alexander Muir Rd
This 4.6 hectare park features a children’s playground, three lit outdoor tennis courts and two lawn bowling greens. It lies beside the Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens and is home to the Lawrence Park Tennis Club and the Lawrence Park Lawn Bowling and Croquet Club.

Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens
2901 Yonge St.
These formal gardens are named after the famed composer Alexander Muir, the man who wrote the patriotic song ‘The Maple Leaf Forever’ in 1867. The maple leaf appears throughout the gardens in various decorative and natural forms. The multi-level Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens act as a gateway into the peaceful ravine system that features walking trails which are open year-round. Stroll among the herbs and flowers that bloom in Alexander Muir’s magnificent setting, located along the Northern Ravines and Gardens Discovery Walk Route. Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens are a beautiful spot to spend a quiet summer afternoon. The gardens are also the western gateway to a long trail that eventually leads to Sunnybrook Park. Walking trails are open all year.

Glengrove Substation
2833 Yonge Street
*Note: Private property. Please observe the building from the street only. The exterior view of this gorgeous building is now softened by mature trees and creeping ivy on the limestone walls. Its function as a hydro substation is not at all obvious to those passing by, who may even mistake it for a library.

In order to provide well-regulated service to its customers, the Toronto Hydro-Electric System (THES) had to have a sufficient number of substations, properly located from an engineering standpoint. While everyone wants to have excellent and uninterrupted electrical service, not all people welcome having a substation in the vicinity of their home. In order to make their buildings more acceptable to the neighbours, the THES sometimes designed them to look like something other than a sub-station.

In the case of the Glengrove Substation (known by locals as The Castle) the THES built this grand building in 1930, with oak doors, glass windows and stone walls.

Later in the 1940s, the THES moved away from the grandeur designs and started to build some of its substations to look exactly like the small bungalows that were popping up all over newly developing areas in Toronto.

George Locke Library Branch
3083 Yonge Street
This heritage designated library branch which opened in 1949 is named after George Locke, who was the second chief librarian of the Toronto Public Library, serving from November 1908 until his death on January 28, 1937. He is credited with having “transformed a small institution into one of the most respected library systems on the continent.” During his 29 years at Toronto, Locke established children’s services, introduced books in many languages, and opened a new central library and 16 branches. As a mark of respect, all of the libraries in Toronto were closed on the day of Locke’s funeral and hundreds attended a memorial service at the Central Library. The library branch itself was the first public building to be opened in Lawrence Park with many notable architectural features (a plaque on the side of the building notes some of them).

Havergal College
1451 Avenue Road
Havergal College – currently the largest girls’ school in Toronto – has been in operation since 1894, when it first opened a campus at 354 Jarvis Street (which is now part of the National Ballet School of Canada). The school then moved to its current location at Avenue Road and Lawrence Avenue West. The campus includes a heritage-designated building dating to 1926, designed in the gothic style by architectural firm Chapman and Oxley. Notable alumni of Havergal include Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto’s current medical officer of health, Emmy-winning actress Margot Kidder, and Paula Cox, who was elected premier of Bermuda in 2010.

Lytton Park & Sunken Gardens
195 Lytton Boulevard
Lytton Park is a 1.7 hectare park on that features three lit outdoor tennis courts with a club house, two lit lawn bowling greens with a clubhouse and a children’s playground. The park is home to the North Toronto Tennis Club and the North Toronto Lawn Bowling & Croquet Club.

Lytton Sunken Gardens are a part of Lytton Park and are located below street level along Lytton Boulevard, a winding street between Avenue Road and Alexandra Boulevard. This recessed green space and bending road is one of the few links left to Mud Creek, which used to flow through the neighbourhood and is now buried under Lytton Park. Also within Lytton Sunken Gardens is a plaque in memory of Herbert Begg. The gardens were donated to the City of Toronto in memory of Begg by his daughters.

Allenby School
391 St. Clement’s Avenue
The land where Allenby School sits has a long Indigenous history, dating all the way back to the 1400s. In 1887, Ontario’s first professional archeologist, David Boyle, excavated the site (known as Jackes Site) and found traces of charcoal, ashes, bone, chert and pottery. After analyzing the pottery found, it was concluded that middle-to-late prehistoric southern Huron Village of Iroquoian tradition existed on this site in the 15th century. Over 100 artifacts were found, and part of the collection resides at the Royal Ontario Museum. A plaque exists on the outer wall of the Allenby School to commemorate this history.

The Eglinton Theatre
400 Eglinton Avenue West
The Eglinton Theatre (presently named The Eglinton Grand) was designed by Toronto architects Kaplan & Sprachman and opened in 1936 during a trend of when luxury movie theatres popped up in suburbs across major Canadian cities.

In 1993, it was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada for its Art Deco style, including sleek, uncluttered lines, decorative zigzag patterns and coloured neon sign. Today the building operates as an event venue. An historical plaque can be found outside the main doors on the west wall.

<< Back to StrollTO Home

Explore Eglinton – Lawrence

Now is the time for residents to experience all that tourists have been raving about for years. Discover shops, stops, places and spaces on city main streets. Stay curious, Toronto.

DON’T MISS
BigArtTO
November 25 – 28
6pm – 9pm
Lawrence Heights Community Centre

Neighbourhood Stroll: Lawrence Park South

This stroll wanders through Lawrence Park South’s tranquil ravines and reveals the hidden stories behind a mysterious castle-like building and a 15th-century Indigenous site. It then heads through The Eglinton Way BIA for an exciting selection of local shops and restaurants.

Main Streets: Eglinton Avenue West, Yonge Street & Lawrence Avenue West

Note: Some neighbourhood strolls may cross over into more than one ward.

  1. Rachel Wilmshurst Art Box
    Mount Pleasant Rd & Blythwood Rd
    This design centres around the movement of our city and how we co-exist within our own daily lives. We work, learn, play and think with different schedules, goals and motivations. Every day we begin again, move through our lives and weave different paths together.

  2. Blythwood Ravine Park
    1200 Mount Pleasant Rd
    Toronto is home to a number of forested ravines found throughout the City. These ravines provide a beautiful escape from our urban environment and provide homes for local wildlife. Blythwood Ravine Park is bordered by Alexander Muir Gardens to the west and Sherwood Park on the east. The Park is a beautiful stretch of forested trail that is part of the Northern Ravines and Gardens Discovery Walk. Follow the trail from the beautiful Alexander Muir Gardens, along the creek and under Mount Pleasant Rd to Sherwood Park. There you will find a wading pool, playground, dog off-leash area and a baseball diamond. It’s a beautiful shaded walk on a hot and sunny day in the City.

  3. Lawrence Park Ravine
    51 Alexander Muir Rd
    This 4.6 hectare park features a children’s playground, three lit outdoor tennis courts and two lawn bowling greens. It lies beside the Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens and is home to the Lawrence Park Tennis Club and the Lawrence Park Lawn Bowling and Croquet Club.

  4. Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens
    2901 Yonge St.
    These formal gardens are named after the famed composer Alexander Muir, the man who wrote the patriotic song ‘The Maple Leaf Forever’ in 1867. The maple leaf appears throughout the gardens in various decorative and natural forms. The multi-level Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens act as a gateway into the peaceful ravine system that features walking trails which are open year-round. Stroll among the herbs and flowers that bloom in Alexander Muir’s magnificent setting, located along the Northern Ravines and Gardens Discovery Walk Route. Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens are a beautiful spot to spend a quiet summer afternoon. The gardens are also the western gateway to a long trail that eventually leads to Sunnybrook Park. Walking trails are open all year.

  5. Glengrove Substation
    2833 Yonge Street
    *Note: Private property. Please observe the building from the street only. The exterior view of this gorgeous building is now softened by mature trees and creeping ivy on the limestone walls. Its function as a hydro substation is not at all obvious to those passing by, who may even mistake it for a library.

    In order to provide well-regulated service to its customers, the Toronto Hydro-Electric System (THES) had to have a sufficient number of substations, properly located from an engineering standpoint. While everyone wants to have excellent and uninterrupted electrical service, not all people welcome having a substation in the vicinity of their home. In order to make their buildings more acceptable to the neighbours, the THES sometimes designed them to look like something other than a sub-station.

    In the case of the Glengrove Substation (known by locals as The Castle) the THES built this grand building in 1930, with oak doors, glass windows and stone walls.

    Later in the 1940s, the THES moved away from the grandeur designs and started to build some of its substations to look exactly like the small bungalows that were popping up all over newly developing areas in Toronto.

  6. George Locke Library Branch
    3083 Yonge Street
    This heritage designated library branch which opened in 1949 is named after George Locke, who was the second chief librarian of the Toronto Public Library, serving from November 1908 until his death on January 28, 1937. He is credited with having “transformed a small institution into one of the most respected library systems on the continent.” During his 29 years at Toronto, Locke established children’s services, introduced books in many languages, and opened a new central library and 16 branches. As a mark of respect, all of the libraries in Toronto were closed on the day of Locke’s funeral and hundreds attended a memorial service at the Central Library. The library branch itself was the first public building to be opened in Lawrence Park with many notable architectural features (a plaque on the side of the building notes some of them).

  7. Havergal College
    1451 Avenue Road
    Havergal College – currently the largest girls’ school in Toronto – has been in operation since 1894, when it first opened a campus at 354 Jarvis Street (which is now part of the National Ballet School of Canada). The school then moved to its current location at Avenue Road and Lawrence Avenue West. The campus includes a heritage-designated building dating to 1926, designed in the gothic style by architectural firm Chapman and Oxley. Notable alumni of Havergal include Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto’s current medical officer of health, Emmy-winning actress Margot Kidder, and Paula Cox, who was elected premier of Bermuda in 2010.

  8. Lytton Park & Sunken Gardens
    195 Lytton Boulevard
    Lytton Park is a 1.7 hectare park on that features three lit outdoor tennis courts with a club house, two lit lawn bowling greens with a clubhouse and a children’s playground. The park is home to the North Toronto Tennis Club and the North Toronto Lawn Bowling & Croquet Club.

    Lytton Sunken Gardens are a part of Lytton Park and are located below street level along Lytton Boulevard, a winding street between Avenue Road and Alexandra Boulevard. This recessed green space and bending road is one of the few links left to Mud Creek, which used to flow through the neighbourhood and is now buried under Lytton Park. Also within Lytton Sunken Gardens is a plaque in memory of Herbert Begg. The gardens were donated to the City of Toronto in memory of Begg by his daughters.

  9. Allenby School
    391 St. Clement’s Avenue
    The land where Allenby School sits has a long Indigenous history, dating all the way back to the 1400s. In 1887, Ontario’s first professional archeologist, David Boyle, excavated the site (known as Jackes Site) and found traces of charcoal, ashes, bone, chert and pottery. After analyzing the pottery found, it was concluded that middle-to-late prehistoric southern Huron Village of Iroquoian tradition existed on this site in the 15th century. Over 100 artifacts were found, and part of the collection resides at the Royal Ontario Museum. A plaque exists on the outer wall of the Allenby School to commemorate this history.

  10. The Eglinton Theatre
    400 Eglinton Avenue West
    The Eglinton Theatre (presently named The Eglinton Grand) was designed by Toronto architects Kaplan & Sprachman and opened in 1936 during a trend of when luxury movie theatres popped up in suburbs across major Canadian cities.

    In 1993, it was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada for its Art Deco style, including sleek, uncluttered lines, decorative zigzag patterns and coloured neon sign. Today the building operates as an event venue. An historical plaque can be found outside the main doors on the west wall.

Accessibility information: All points of interest are viewable from the street except for this stroll’s parks, ravines and gardens. The ravine system in this neighbourhood includes steep hills, stairs and unpaved paths at some points. Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens has a staircase leading into the park and has a combination of stone and dirt pathways. The most accessible entry to Lawrence Park Ravine is located off Alexander Muir Boulevard. For Blythwood Park Ravine, a paved trail begins at 152 Strathgowan Ave. A paved walkway runs through Lytton Park and a paved ramp is available at the entrance of Lytton Park Sunken Garden.