About Tourism Toronto
Tourism Toronto is an industry association of more than 1,000 partners established to sell and market the greater Toronto region as a remarkable destination for tourists, convention delegates and business travelers around the globe. Tourism Toronto, also known as Regional Tourism Organization 5, operates in partnership with the Greater Toronto Hotel Association and the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, in leading the world to Toronto – Canada’s Downtown- and growing the visitor economy.
Director of Sales, USA
Reporting to: Vice President, Business Events
Tourism Toronto (a.k.a. Toronto Convention and Visitors Association, or TCVA) is the official destination marketing organization for Toronto’s tourism industry. Tourism Toronto focuses on promoting and selling the greater Toronto region as a remarkable destination for tourists, convention delegates and business travelers. Officially operating as a not-for-profit agency, Tourism Toronto has over 1,100 members and is a partnership of public and private sectors.
Advancing Business Events Toronto’s group sales effort within the US territory will be the core focus in support of Tourism Toronto’s mission to Lead the world to Toronto- Canada’s Downtown- growing our visitor economy. Through business development – you will lead the sales team to target and secure new self-contained and city-wide group business across the Greater Toronto Region. You are a driven, goal oriented, over-achiever, high-performer, high-energy, competitive, leader responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive sales plan to increase group bookings and definite room generation to Toronto. You know how to monitor, coach and motivate a sales team – leading the sales team in how to best identify/nurture/pitch/grow the best and most viable pipeline of prospects/clients for the destination.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Working with the VP, Business Events, in leading the success and growth of US meeting, convention and special event room night development in Toronto.
- Responsible for the management, performance and productivity of the US sales team.
- Ensure sales team understands expectations, has knowledge and skills needed to meet them, follows established sales strategies, processes and makes consistent progress toward achieving sales activity and performance goals.
- Lead the US sales team to achieve predetermined definite room night generation goals, and other scorecard metrics at both the Corporate and Business Unit level.
- Develop, implement, coordinate comprehensive annual segment sales budget and business plan designed to increase sales and capture new opportunities.
- Lead and direct the development of a qualified pipeline of multiple accounts/prospects and lead generation for sales team follow-through, including account and lead qualification, directing research, communicating the understanding of customer needs, and planning strategically to close the sale.
- Lead and collaborate with US sales team to qualify and identify new business opportunities with both prospects and within existing clients, targeting most relevant, profitable pieces of business for Toronto stakeholders.
- Monitor external stakeholder input for desired business at the individual property level to drive increased business that is most relevant to Toronto’s membership needs.
- Lead, develop, and drive increased focus and advancement on account prioritization, forecasting, action plans, pitching, proposals, closing and reporting.
- Monitor and analyze sales and account/performance/productivity data to evaluate results achieved and recommend appropriate corrective actions to ensure achievement of US sales goals, account prioritization, ROI, ROE, etc.y
- Provide accurate and ongoing sales reporting to monitor and analyze US sales team and individual performance and provide actionable sales management information.
- Coach sellers to help grow US account base and close business working within strategic focus areas and local industry support.
- Build local networks/relationships to strategically align with account base; identify, recruit and encourage local leaders to influence targeted customers on destination/site decisions.
- Align/refine business metrics around US customer and seller performance- including account/seller productivity reports that provide increased visibility to key productivity drivers by seller/ territory/ industry cluster/business type/ priorities, etc.
- Ensure the sales organization makes effective use of Tourism Toronto’s CRM to capture account/client information and manage sales forecasting.
- Conduct weekly/monthly RAPs, one on ones with US sales teams to drive actions around prospecting of net new accounts and opportunities to increase room night generation, evaluate efficiencies and effectiveness through measurement of outcomes.
- Identify ongoing training and development opportunities for the US Sales Team; perform periodic and annual performance reviews of all direct reports.
- Maintain well-informed knowledge and analysis of competition, industry trends, statistical data, and best practices from the North American DMO/CVB community.
Key Relevant Experience & Education:
- A university or college degree with an emphasis in business, marketing, or sales, and/or at least ten years of related experience which may substitute for academic experience.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in a director level sales leadership/management position
- Experience with sales analytics/reporting systems, CRM Software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
Key Personal Attributes:
- Proven ability to establish, prioritize and accomplish set goals
- Results- oriented, Analytically Advanced, Problem Solver
- Strong innovative and creative outlook
- Customer / Client Focused
- Team / Individual Motivator / Coach
- Skilled Internal / External Collaborator & Communicator
- Excellent Verbal / Written Communications
- Exceptional Consultative Skills and Adept Negotiator
- Financial Management
- Diplomacy, tact and a collaborative nature
Ability, willingness to travel, attends local and international events on evenings and/or weekends is required; flexible to work evenings and weekends, on-call as team needs require. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is based in Toronto, Ontario.
How to Apply:
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly indicate the application is for the position of “Director of Sales, USA”.
If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please email us. We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Tourism Toronto and will directly contact those candidates selected for an interview.