Grown-Up Getaway – Toronto Style
Whether you’re coming to town with your best friends or your best best girl or guy, Toronto is teeming with fun things to do. Here are some articles and ideas to get you started. ShareThis
Get More Toronto
The great exchange rate means you get more for your money when you visit! Some examples (for illustration only): A luxury hotel room for $400 Canadian dollars would be $292 US dollars. Great seats at a Blue Jays game for $102 Canadian dollars would be $79 US dollars. A half-day at a luxury spa for $250 Canadian dollars would be $182 US dollars.
5 Great Nights Out in Toronto
With music spilling out from doorways, lights pulsing and throngs of people dressed for action, nights in the city have a special energy. There’s enough to experience, groove to and savour in Toronto to suit just about everyone. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Go live. Seven nights a week, and some afternoons too, live music can be heard all around Toronto. Roots music at The Dakota, swingy jazz at The Reservoir, folk and blues at Hugh’s Room or Latin at Lula are just some of the myriad options at intimate, affordable venues.
- Play on the edge. Axe throwing, knife throwing, darts throwing – these are just a few of the games people play in Toronto. For an even bigger thrill, try walking on the edge of the CN Tower 116 stories up. Be sure to look down.
- Enjoy a really great meal. Whether that means trying some amazing new ethnic food or a taste of local or dining with an exceptional view, indulge yourself at one of thousands of remarkable restaurants in Toronto.
- Have a big league encounter. Toronto is home to 6, count ‘em, 6 professional sports teams, all with downtown venues. That means on any given day throughout the year you have the option of having a thrilling major league experience right in the heart of the city.
- Get outdoors. A quick ferry ride from downtown at the foot of Bay Street over to Ward’s Island will reward you with one of the most stunning views of the skyline of Toronto. In the warmer months, stay for a meal at the quaint, historic Rectory Café and stroll the boardwalk that overlooks Lake Ontario. Here during the winter? Go for a skate lakeside at scenic Harbourfront or go urban at iconic Nathan Phillips Square.
For more date ideas read 10 Unique Toronto Date Ideas.
Neighbourhoods to Explore
One of the best ways to explore the city is by picking a neighbourhood and digging in. Whether you’re looking for the busy downtown core with major gathering places like Nathan Phillips Square and Yonge-Dundas Square, or the more bohemian vibe of Kensington Market or Queen Street East, check “Go Local” for tips on photo opps, the smartest shops and restaurant stops.
View the full Toronto Magazine online or request a free copy on our Maps & Guides page.
Dining highlights draw on the city’s rich immigrant populations. “It has a huge Caribbean and Portuguese community, three different Chinatowns and a huge Little India. There’s so much great food. It’s one of the best cities in the world to eat dim sum.” – USA Today
From a 24-hour marathon of all things Toronto to an extended urban getaway, check out what others are recommending to see, do and eat in Toronto. You’ll get some great ideas.
- A Perfect Day in Toronto – Lonely Planet
- In Two Days – Frommer’s
- The Ultimate 24-Hour Guide to Canada’s Biggest City – Matador Network
- 36 Hours in Toronto – New York Times
- Toronto Travel Guide – Fodor’s Travel
Need more info on all the fantastic stuff in Toronto? Here are a few articles with suggestions for clubbing, dining and dating.
- 10 Best Patios in Toronto
- 6 Fun Date Ideas
- 5 Exceptional Nights Out at Toronto’s Top Cultural Institutions
- Top 10 Toronto Nightclubs
Now with the Canadian dollar trading at approximately $.75 on the U.S. dollar, it’s an even better time for Canadians and Americans to travel here. Read about how the low Canadian dollar benefits visitors.
From professional to glam, indie-eclectic to urban casual: here’s where to shop today’s hottest looks. By Loretta Chin with photography by Jenna Marie Wakani.
Book Hotels & Attractions
Video Playlist: Toronto Attractions
From exciting theme parks and incredible zoos to spectacular gardens and attractions Toronto has so much to offer no matter what time of year you decide to visit.
Watch more Toronto videos on our YouTube channel.